Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Books and Fala

Words that last a lifetime




I have so many beautiful memories of my Stadium days, but those which I have recalled and related the most over the years involved teachers.

I remember the first day in 10th grade Biology when Mr. Prentice told us,

"Matter can neither be created nor destroyed."

That astounding law of the universe was new to me and has stayed with me all these years. I have used it occasionally to impress people, mainly my children, with my knowledge of science!

Then I learned so much about writing from Mr. Hoffman, Journalism teacher. He wrote the textbook we used, "See, Know, and Tell -- Well." It was used in high schools throughout the U.S.

And I'll never forget dear Miss D. Celia Burgess, Civics teacher, who loved her country and President Roosevelt with all her heart.

How fortunate we were to have these dedicated professional teachers who taught us well and shaped our lives more than we realized.

Janice Lindeman Perry
Class of 1942



Ural Nathaniel Hoffman was the author of:

See, know and tell—well
A complete textbook of the principles and practices of journalism for newswriters in the high school
(1934)
ASIN:B00088ZGYY

Student journalism
(1946)
ASIN: B0007FGJTE

Student newspaper advertising:
A practical manual of salesmanship and staff management
(1947)
ASIN: B0007FPTUY



Memories@CelebrateStadium.com



CelebrateStadium.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home