Saturday, July 08, 2006

Paul Margelli

A different "Base" coat


I was blessed to have been a part of the Stadium High choir from 1971-73 under the direction of Mr. Paul Margelli whom we all affectionately called "Mar".
He was a talented and hard working choir teacher who expected the best from us and got it.


My senior year we were asked to sing at the State Capital workers’ Christmas Party because the Adelphian Choir from the University of Puget Sound (which was considered the best around) was unavailable.

When they were asked whom they recommended in their place the immediate response was the Stadium HS choir. It was a great honor and we owe all that we were to Mar.

The summer before my senior year my best friend Mary Diamond and I got it into our heads to paint Mar’s office as a surprise for him. It was painted an institutional shade of pink and we thought he needed something better.

We took ourselves off to the hardware store and chose a quart…that’s right a quart…of flat paint in a lovely shade of tangerine. To this day I am not sure how Mary talked the custodians into letting us into his office to paint. Well, we got about halfway done when we realized that not only were we out of paint but it was going to require at least two more coats and that we should have gotten semi-gloss as that was what was on the walls already.

On top of that we had not prepped the walls and you could easily scrape the new color, which appeared very blotchy, off…yikes! Defeated and out of money we slunk out of the school and looked towards the first day of school with dread. What was Mar going to do to us?

We never found out his reaction to the orange paint or his thoughts about what we had done. When we arrived on the first day of school we discovered he had repainted his office a chocolate brown using semi-gloss paint.

He never said a word to me but once in a while I would see him look over at the two of us and shake his head. He was a true gentleman and a class act.

Quincy Knowlen Cook
Class of 1973



Memories@CelebrateStadium.com



CelebrateStadium.com

1 Comments:

At September 02, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too,cherish the time I spent in choir and madrigals, with "Mar". I do remember that he was a 'crack shot' with a small piece of chalk, or an eraser, when kids weren't paying attention.
I recently sang, as a member of the Federal Way Chorale, with the Auburn Symphony. I noted that one of the woodwind players was named Margelli.
After talking to him, I found out that "Mar" was his dad. If anybody remembers Mrs. Margelli, and her magnificent organ playing, I found out that she is still actively teaching music.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home