Thursday, April 13, 2006

An Essex to Seattle

Heed your parents


Hi, I'm Milt Thompson. I am the fourth in my family to graduate from Stadium. My mother, Lida Dale Pabst Thompson was in the very first graduating class in 1905 (that's when the "brown castle" was called Tacoma High School), both my sisters, Muriel and Lola Thompson graduated in 1930 and I, in 1939. Here is one memory I will never forget.

I was a member of the Stadium band for three years, as first chair clarinet; it meant that I was expected to play any solos written into the first chair's music. In those days, we didn't have any school buses, so when the band was asked to play for a function away from the school such as for a teacher's meeting in Seattle, our director, Mr. Fussell, had to determine whether there were enough private cars to carry everyone and their instruments to Seattle.

My father reluctantly agreed to let me take our 1929 Essex, cautioning:

"Don't push it too hard or it might throw a rod bearing."


We were 12 miles outside of Seattle when there was a loud clattering and the oil pressure gauge dropped to zero (of course, I wasn't pushing it too hard!).

To make a rather long story short, we were ultimately able to hail a passing bus. However, by the time we reached our destination, the first half of the program (the half in which I had several solos) was over.

My skiing buddy, who was second clarinet, still hasn't forgiven me for being late because he had to play two cadenza solos that he wasn't prepared for. I don't even need to describe what Mr. Fussell and my father had to say regarding that incident.

I'm happy and proud to be a member of the 100th Anniversary Celebration Committee and hope to see many of you at our exciting celebration in September.



Memories@CelebrateStadium.com



CelebrateStadium.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home