Thursday, March 23, 2006

Time Flies

Stadium Clock

I acquired this clock in the spring of 1961. I was taking physics, and the teacher asked if anyone wanted this clock. I went home and asked if I could have a clock, and my parents said OK, not knowing how big it was. The next morning I went to the physics teacher before class and asked for the clock. He said that I could have it.

My understanding about the clock was that it was taken out of the school’s office in the 1950’s during a renovation and given to the physics department for pendulum experiments. The department finally got a pendulum to hang on the wall, so the clock was put into storage. In 1961 while cleaning out the storage the clock was found and I acquired it.

Work History:
When I got the clock it was missing the glass in the door, the hour hand, the pendulum weight, and the drive weight. I had it running off and on using makeshift weights

In the 1980’s I knew a clockmaker, and he worked on the clock. He replaced the hands, and found an early 1900’s drive weight, but he had to get a new pendulum weight. It ran for several years after that.

About 2000 I took it to another clockmaker and he took it a part and replaced most of the bushings, and got it running again. I have it running in my living room.


If there are any pictures of the clock in the office, I would like to see them, to verify that this is the clock from the office.

Description:
Height: 4' 7"
Width: 1' 4"
Depth: 5"

Pendulum length: 32", and has a wire running down the back of it. This is an important length as the swing of the pendulum is exactly 1 second, and therefore was be used as a regulator clock.

Face is 12" in diameter and has roman numerals on it.
It has a name on the face of "J. Stolting Co."



John Potter '61

(BTW, here is a picture of the office in 1909)


1909 - Office - Aldrich - TPL

Here's John's clock with his self portrait.



Memories@CelebrateStadium.com



CelebrateStadium.com

1 Comments:

At March 27, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this is the John Potter who collects old magic lanterns, stereopticons, cameras, etc., this clock couldn't be in better hands.
Looking forward to seeing you, again, at someplace other than camera equipment swap meets.

March 27, 2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home