Sunday, March 26, 2006

Roof Top View

My close call

As a 1957 grad, I was the stage manager. Not a big thing at all, but it did give me the run of the ''attic'' of the school.

I took advantage of that one nice spring day. I was exploring, and found the trap door to the roof at the very top of the main building. Such a view! The Bay behind and the court yard in front.

So I sat myself down to watch the court yard; legs dangling over the edge of the roof having myself a smoke, a big no-no. When all of a sudden, our vice-principal Mr. Ralph Christy came busting through the trap door yelling:

"DON'T JUMP! DON'T JUMP!''

Well don't you know it scared the peewadin' out of me!!

I didn't know if I should put out the smoke or get away from the edge. Jumping was not in my thoughts at all. I do not like high places and was testing myself and having a ''ciggy butt'' break.

It was all I could do to get away from the edge. HE scared me much worse than sitting on the edge.

It was said a lady in some apartment building somewhere across the way had reported me as a kid who was going to jump!! Good grief. No way!!

Best part is I didn't get punished!! Mr. Christy never said anything about the smoking. !! Whew! I lucked out.

Mike Devlin, Class of '57



Memories@CelebrateStadium.com



CelebrateStadium.com

1 Comments:

At April 09, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should have known it would be my brother Monte's best friend up there on the roof with that cigarette!
Barb (Berg) Beil

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home