Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Floors Roll

I still quake

I was a shy but "sophisticated" (in my own mind) sophomore in the Spring of 1965.

On April 29th at about 8:30 in the morning, I was hurrying to Mr. Harringstad's Biology class on the third floor of the Castle. Not my favorite subject, but I never wanted to be late.

I was out of breath. Three flights of stairs will do that.

I was about three doors away from the room when the concrete floor began to roll like the tides at Ocean Shores.

I grabbed a locker and held on. I don't remember any other sounds ,except for my screams. It was the longest 45 seconds of my life.


Goldfish survives bizarre earthquake

Earthquake rattles Western Washington

Carol (Klippert) Patrick ('67)




Memories@CelebrateStadium.com



CelebrateStadium.com

2 Comments:

At July 25, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Carol, You were not the only one there that day! While you where on the third floor, I was in the locker room of the boys gym. A friend and I were tossing pennies on to the floor, when all of a sudden they just started jumping and seemed to never stop! As I ran past the boys swimming pool, I looked in and the water was crashing over the sides of the pool. The P.E. teacher stopped us right under a crossbeam support which we stayed under until it stopped. I was also a sophamore, I am Bill Seyler, You may have known me but probably not.

 
At August 06, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My recollection of the 'quake was:

I was in one of the turret classrooms and knitting an argyl sock for my current steady, which was the fad then. Well, the room started swaying but I wasn't particularly scaird - but I DID DROP A STITCH - and that annoyed me no end. But we got out of there, safe and sound.

Jo Ann Sprague Pottorff, Class of 1951
Residing in the beautiful Paradise of Southwest Florida-on-the-Gulf.

If anyone cares to e-mail, my address is: pottorffja@comcast.net

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home